Tuesday 13 September 2011

14/09/11 - Newcastle Selections

I rarely have a bet midweek but since it's Cameron Handicap day at Newcastle tomorrow, I thought I would have a look at the day's racing.  The track is rated as a dead 5 but a sunny day is expected so it may improve.  Good Luck!

Newcastle

Race 1 - Although only 7 runners in the opening event, I think it's a tricky affair.  I wouldn't be getting carried away here.  I narrowed it down to Bare Bear, Memorable Moment, Magic Spur and Pennyforyathoughts.  I have settled on Magic Spur.  I think it can sit just off the speed and kick home.  It won it's 1st race start and then fudged the start and lost a plate in it's 2nd which I'm willing to forgive.  

Race 2 - Doesn't appear to be a lot of speed in this race. I would suggest Little Miss Rose will take up the running.  I'm going with Gossips.  She is down in class and has been fairly consistent placing 5 times out of her 8 starts.  There is a complete lack of results from many of the others.  She also goes well at the track and distance.  Other hopes to Little Miss Rose, Chula Vista and Rock Air. 

Race 3 - I don't like getting involved in maiden races.  Especially when there is a lack of experience.  Having said that, I don't mind the look of Net Worth here.  He's had 2 race starts for a 2nd and a 4th.  In his last race he ran 4.8 lengths to Manawanui and we saw on the weekend how talented it is.  Hughie Bowman to ride is a bonus.  Other hopes to Cradle Me, Danger Lurks and Jester's Girl.

***With the scratching of Cradle Me, I have put Lolavie in as another hope. ***
Race 4 - Another maiden.  Looks to be a fairly open affair.  I'm going with an Anthony Cummings horse in Morocco.  It's had just the 2 race starts and ran on well in both to only go down by short margins.  I think in it's third race start that it will be cherry ripe.  It's down in weight and has Glyn Schofield on top.  All positives.  Other hopes to Bold Sari, Klaatu (if gets a start) and La Parisienne.  

Race 5 - The Hurricane Stakes.  An apt name for a race over 900m where there will be a charge of the light brigade.  Several horses like to lead which could set it up for something just off the pace.  That is Motspur's hope if that happens.  Motspur is the class runner in the race and has to carry a whopping 62kg which is 9kg more than his rivals.  It think it will bring him undone.  I'll be with Platinum Choice.  Many of these horses have been racing each other recently and have been close in each race.  Platinum Choice has a significant weight advantage over those horses.  From barrier 6, Reith should be able to stick him either in the lead or handy.  Other hopes to Dragon's Keep, Motspur and Master Gaze.

Race 6 - The Spring Stakes.  This isn't a bad group of 3 year olds assembled here over 1600m.  Just The Tonic will take up the lead.  It was hard to ignore the finish of Rekindled Alliance last start when it ran a short neck to Just The Tonic over 1400m.  The extra 200m here will suit and I can see this fellow running over the top of them.  Other hopes to Just The Tonic, Darci Be Good and Ambidexter.

Race 7 - The Cameron Handicap.  Another good field here with a number of chances.  I can see a fairly solid pace developing with the likes of Neeson and Reuben Percival jockeying for the lead.  With that in mind, I'm going with Raspberries.  Kerrin McEvoy will be able to get her in a handy position from barrier 2.  Last start she unleashed a top finish to come over Altius and Lamasery.  Lamasery was impressive on Saturday.  On the minimum weight, I think Raspberries is a special!  Other hopes to Ginga Dude, Neeson and Izababe.

Race 8 - The final race on the card is over 2300m and it's one that I'm not overly keen about.  My confidence levels in the majority of this field running the trip out is low.  I'll go for one at a bit of value in Rodeo Playboy.  It has Hugh Bowman riding and has been running over 2000m consistently throughout it's career with reasonable success.  I think when the field starts tiring, this bloke will be running on.  Other hopes to Pippendell, Wonderworld and Carbon Art.

Best Bets

Race 7 Number 8 Raspberries
Race 6 Number 4 Rekindled Alliance
Race 4 Number 8 Morocco

No comments:

Post a Comment