Friday 26 August 2011

27/08/11 - Caulfield, Rosehill and Doomben Selections

Last week saw the return of a few of the stars of racing and this Saturday is no different.  These horses will be strutting their stuff in the Memsie Stakes, McNeil Stakes and the Run To The Rose feature races.  My selections will be based on a good track favouring on pacers at Caulfield, a slow track improving to dead at Rosehill and a slow track for Doomben.  Punters should keep a watch on changes in the weather for Rosehill and definitely Doomben.  

Caulfield

Race 1 - A number of Moody runners go around in the opening event.  I'm with one of them in Plucky Belle.  Nolen takes the ride which is usually a good indicator of which horse Moody rates the highest.  It's form is solid leading into this with an easy win over 1309m when resuming and it's 4th in it's debut was very good.  The price is a bit short for my liking so keep an eye on that before placing your bet. Minors to be filled by Amaal, Rahveel and Cute Emily.

Race 2 - I think two Moody runners will be fighting this one out.  Miss Gai Flyer and La Praline look the testing material.  Again I'm taking the lead from Moody and backing La Praline with Nolen in the saddle.  She was very impressive when last in work and should get a really good run with 53kg.  Next best Miss Gai Flyer, Happy Angel and Big Spirit.

Race 3 - This is an open race and I'll be going with one here at a bit of value in Simply Put.  It will be fitter for it's first up run and finally gets an inside draw.  I think Baster will be able to get the horse to the lead or in a handy position.  It will also relish a good track.  Next best I'm Discreet, Head North and Midnight Martini.

Race 4 - The McNeil Stakes.  A number of good 3 year olds go around here.  Golden Archer, Do You Think, Satin Shoes, Metonymy and Glissade should fight this out.  I'll be going with Metonymy.  Fillies have a great record in this race and with a substantial weight advantage over the others gets the nod.  She was very good first up and unlucky not to get the win.  Her 2 year old form was also very good.  Will be very handy in the run.  Again has the Moody polish.

Race 5 - Testascana has been very good to the Silk lately and we'll see how good this fellow is here from the car park draw.  I'm prepared to back Nolen getting him across to the front or handy.  If he can dictate proceedings then we should be in the money.  I think the hardest to beat is Vesper who ran 2.3lengths to Whobegotyou last start at wfa conditions. Drops 5kg here and is the big danger!  Other hopes to Lakedro and Hissing Sid.

Race 6 - The Memsie Stakes.  This is a danger race with the majority of the field having their first run back from a spell and at a distance that is a lot shorter than what they'd prefer.  Going on first up form and also because he's one of my favourite horses, I'm with Heart Of Dreams.  Over his career he's proven at the distance and has been able to carry 59kg at wfa.  He can park up on the speed and I think he gets the run of the race.  Oliver on board is a bonus.  Next best includes Shamrocker, King's Rose and Rekindled Interest.


Race 7 - I like Acorns here.  It has a good 1st up record and has a very good overall record with 5 wins from 12 starts.  With the potential leaders coming from the outside, I think this fellow will get a nice sit just behind them and won't have to use up any gas getting there.  My only concern is Craig Newitt in the saddle.  He has butchered many a horse I've been on in the past but I'll give him the benefit here.  Next best includes Grand Duels, Anabaa's Legacy and Testa My Patience.


Race 8 - A number of chances in the final race at Caulfield.  I settled on Time Matters.  It always puts itself into race.  I'm a little concerned that it doesn't seem to win out of turn.  However he's dropping quite a bit of weight from his past runs and I think that could be the difference to finally get him over the line.  Other hopes to Mr Griswold, Rightfully Yours, Pinnacles and Carnero.      


Rosehill


Race 1 - Phenomenal Lass will be all the rage here but I'm prepared to pot her as I have doubts about how she'll handle the going and weight.  I'll be with Hollyweird.  It put in a decent showing 1st up and it's 2nd up record is perfect albeit it's only had the 1 go.  I think with 53kg it will get through whatever surface is present early in the day.  Chances to Phenomenal Lass, Star Leader and Emerald Downs.


Race 2 - Going the way of Just The Tonic here.  It's first start was a beauty where it didn't get things it's own way.  I think it can only go forward from it's first race experience and will be tough to beat.  Will handle the going.  Other hopes to Rekindled Alliance, Schiffer and Houston Benefactor.


Race 3 - A horse I have a high opinion of races here.  Unfortunately the short quote makes it hard to back Altius.  It really should give these a touch up.  If you were looking for something at better odds, I'd suggest Future Solution.  



Race 4 - I've been waiting for Akinoshirabe to reach a suitable distance since it arrived in Australia.  It really stood out last start over 1800m and I think the added 200m will see her right in the finish. Other hopes to Home On A Wing, Dancing Attendance and The Warrior Woman.


Race 5 - The Run To The Rose. From all accounts Smart Missile has returned in excellent style.  He has the impressive record of being the only horse to beat Sepoy and we all know how good it is.  Glen Boss has a massive wrap on this horse and I'm prepared to say he can win this well.  Helmet and Foxwedge will be his greatest opposition.   


Race 6 - This is a tough race to work out as none of the runners likes to take up the running.  Therefore something is going to have to step out of it's normal pattern.  I'll be honest, I have no idea! Therefore it's best not to bet.  However if I wanted to have an interest bet then I'd be on Mourayan.  It's got good 2nd up form and will handle the going.  It may even be able to steal a break on these.  You could give most of these a chance but I'll restrict it to The Verminator, Brave The Way, Storm Kite and They Won't Last.     


Race 7 - A Silk favourite is entered here in Stratford.  He seems to be a horse with potential and I think although up in class again, he'll handle it.  He should be able to unleash a strong finishing burst.  I give chances to Balavan, Gybe and Agister.  


Race 8 - I really like the look of Spot The Rock here.  Scan through it's form and you see it's been competitive with the likes of Rain Affair and Ilovethiscity. It's coming off an impressive trial and I think it will be wound up to blast these off the track.  Filling the minors could be Renewed Vitality, Duke Of Cornwall and Into The Sun.


Doomben


Race 1 - Availability is a nice looking type.  However I'm prepared to go against it as it just held on last start and also is unknown on soft tracks.  That could come back to bite me!  I've gone with God Bless Us.  Bailey thought enough of it to try it in Sydney where it ran well.  I like that's it's down in the weights and has proven itself on rain affect ground.  Next best is Lucky Tycoon.  Hopes to Availability and March To Victory.


Race 2 - I've been impressed by The Barracks in it's last couple of runs.  Being a Commands horse he should be able to get through the wet ground. From the alley he should be able settle well and give this a real shake.  Chances to Sway To Go, Mington and Steel Dragon.


Race 3 - I'm uncertain about this race.  Not sure how some of these will handle a wet track.  I have settled on Tafeer.  I'm not confident but I'm hoping she can cross from her wide gate and run these ragged.  She should get through the ground being a Shamardal.  My concern is the heavy weight may prove costly at the end.  Lines Of Time was impressive last start and trained well this week.  The definite danger.  Carry Me Baby and Erinsea at odds are other hopes. 


Race 4 - Well I was made to look like a fool last time Shamardashing raced.  It bolted in and I'm expecting him to repeat the dose here.  He's up in weight but I think he has a definite class edge over these.  


Race 5 - I'll be on Chart here who's currently at double figure odds.  He has raced at this distance twice for 2 wins and handles a wet track.  He's down in weight from his past starts and I think he can be running on when it counts.  Chances to General Purple, Ausworld and Miss Cutie.  
*Unfortunately Chart has been scratched so I'll promote Miss Cutie. Was quite keen on Chart so I'm not overly confident about Miss Cutie*

Race 6 - I like the look of Beethog here.  She looks to have a class edge and loves a soft track.  She also goes very well first up so if she's wound up enough she will go well after taking a sit.  I give hopes to Belletrist, Multire Music and Carry To Fortune.


Race 7 - Woorim is the class runner here but I'm prepared to say that the 61kg and a wet surface will bring him undone.  Will still run a good race though.  I'll be with his stablemate Funtantes. She has a significant weight advantage over her rivals and goes great first up.  She can handle all going and Byrne should give her a lovely ride.  Other hopes are Rothera and Poor Judge.


Race 8 - If you're down going into this race, don't hold your breath for a positive outcome. Boy is it tough!  I'm looking for a bit of value here so I'll be going with Il Cardinale.  Yes, he's better over longer trips but he can run a super fresh race and can handle the going.  In a race where I found it hard to find a clear winner, I thought he was as good as any.  Other chances to Seventh Heart, Oak Street and My Elixa.  


Best Bets 


Caulfield - Race 5 Number 6 Testascana
             
Rosehill - Race 2 Number 6 Just The Tonic
             Race 5 Number 2 Smart Missile
             Race 8 Number 9 Spot The Rock


Doomben - Race 4 Number 1 Shamardashing
               Race 6 Number 1 Beethog

No comments:

Post a Comment